Friday 30 November 2012

25. KILN BACK ON TRACK


Hello Potters and Friends,

Thank goodness, my kiln is now back in action. The programmer was not controlling the temperature in the kiln. I nearly lost a whole load of porcelain but I switched it off just in time, before the temperature rocketed up at a frightening speed.
However, the kiln might be in tip-top condition but my left foot is not. Owing to a dislocated toe I cannot continue potting in the workshop for a while. But I can show you what came out of the kiln after I’d re-fired the near disaster. And I’ll show you how to make my origami Christmas creations that have kept me busy whilst putting my feet up.

So here we go - first some porcelain; 


My pots on stands are very popular, look great as a table centrepiece, and I love making them. 




Now something a bit bigger ;



Porcelain and stoneware. Black stain and a dab of red underglaze. One of my favourite forms.


'Morning Glory' in the Delft style. Cobalt oxide decoration.

And here's some stoneware ;



Tall pot with incised lid. The motif was painted with red iron oxide at the greenware stage so that the lines would stay sharp, then I dipped it in my favourite white satin glaze. The oxide burns through the glaze. 



'Pot-Bellied Pot'
White satin glaze with manganese and copper carbonate. Each end dipped leaving a bare neck, which was then painted with the oxide mixture.



'Black Daisy Bowl'
Red iron oxide and gold decoration with transparent glaze. 

But now here comes the origami ! 
I love paper, and used to make paper bowls long before I got hooked on clay. 



STEP 1.  Fold a square piece of paper into a triangle.


STEP 2. Fold the bottom right corner to the top angle and then repeat with the bottom left. You now have a diamond shape.


STEP 3. Unfold each triangle, open them out by inserting a finger, then press them flat.


STEP 4. Fold back the little triangle on both sides.


STEP 5. Fold again to hide the white paper.



STEP 6.  Fold into a cone shape having put a dab of glue to hold it in place. 


STEP 7. This is the end result and then you make 4 more. Don't worry, they're very quick once you've got it.


STEP 8. Dab of glue on the side and stick all 5 together.


VOILA !
Mine are going to be strung together and hung from the mantlepiece as well as adding one to each Christmas gift.

HAPPY POTTING AND FLOWER MAKING FOLKS.

No comments:

Post a Comment